Tax Deferrals and Exemptions
The Ipswich Board of Assessors grants tax exemptions on the basis of charitable institutions, disabled veterans, blindness, minors of deceased parents, surviving spouses, and qualified elderly. Deferrals are also available to qualified applicants. The [PDF] Application for Statutory Exemption and the [PDF] Application to Defer Taxes , are available at the Assessors Office as well as online.
Veterans with a 10% or greater service-connected disability, or surviving spouses, are requested to contact the Veterans Office, at (978) 356-3915, for assistance in determining exemption eligibility.
You may be eligible for an exemption on your real estate taxes assessed on your domicile if you meet the qualifications for one of the personal exemptions allowed under Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 59, Section 5. For additional information please contact the Assessors office (978) 356-6603.
The following exemption categories are under MGL Chapter 59, Sec. 5:
· Blind (Clause 37A)
· U.S. veteran with a service connected disability (Clause 22)
· Surviving spouse, minor child of deceased parent, elderly person (Clause 17D)
· Senior citizen age 70 and older (Clause 41C)
· Deferral age 65 and older (Clause 41A)
· Surviving spouse of police officer or firefighter killed in the line of duty (Clause 42)
· Surviving minor children of police officer or firefighter killed in the line of duty (Clause 43)
Applications for statutory exemption must be filed with the Board of Assessors on or before 3 months after the actual (Third Quarter Fiscal Year) tax bill is mailed. You must apply annually for your exemption and guidelines must be met in order to qualify for the exemption.
Please click on a line below for more information regarding each tax exemption or deferral, and requirements:
- [PDF] Clause 17E Surviving Spouse, Minor Child or Elderly Person
- [PDF] Clause 22 Veterans
- [PDF] Clause 37A Blind Persons
- [PDF] Clause 41A Tax Deferral
- [PDF] Clause 41D Elderly Persons
- [PDF] Clause 42 Surviving Spouse of Police Officer or Firefighter
- [PDF] Clause 43 Surviving Minor Children of Police Officer or Firefighter
- [PDF] Click Here for a quick summary of the tax deferral options that are available.