- Charter, Legislation, Bylaws & Regulations
- Contact Us
- Departments, Boards and Committees
- Employment Opportunities
- Online Permits
- Property Assessment Data
- Recycle/Trash Info
- Tax Maps
- Town Hall Facilities Use Procedure
- Town Hall Facilities Use Schedule
- Zoning Bylaw
- Zoning Map
- About Ipswich
- Search Site
- Site Map
Board of Health Building permit Sign-Off Requirements
For properties with on-site sewage disposal systems (septic systems)
Changes in Footprint – Renovations, & Additions, & Decks:
- A septic system shall be inspected by an Ipswich licensed Title 5 Inspector whenever an addition/renovation to an existing structure, excluding decks, is proposed that increases the footprint of the building and requires a building permit or occupancy permit from the building inspector. The inspection requirement shall be waived if a Certificate of Compliance was issued or a Title 5 Inspection was completed within the previous 3 years or if the system is under an operations and maintenance contract.
- A site plan drawn to scale is required that shows the location of the existing and/or proposed dwelling footprint and the septic system location (all components including the reserve area).
- Drawings of the existing interior rooms for the entire dwelling (a floor plan) are required as well as a floor plan showing the proposed changes and/or additions.
Pools, Sheds, & Accessory Structures
- A site plan drawn to scale is required that shows the location of the existing dwelling, the septic system location (all components including the reserve area) and the proposed structure.
- A certified engineers as-built plan can be used.
- If no septic as-built plan exists, then a Title 5 location of components must be done by a Title 5 Inspector. The information obtained must be put on a site plan drawn to scale.
No Change in Footprint – Additions, Renovations:
- Drawings of the existing interior rooms for the entire dwelling (a floor plan) are required.
- A floor plan showing the proposed changes and/or additions.
- A property with a Title 5 Inspection that indicates septic failure, will be ordered to upgrade the septic system within 2 years of the inspection date.
- Change in use or expansion of use may require a Title 5 Inspection or a septic system upgrade.
- Sunrooms, three season rooms, solariums, etc. and screened porches which are habitable in winter will be considered in the room count for the determination of the number of rooms or bedrooms in a dwelling.
The correct street address must be on all documentation submitted. Please check with the Town Assessor if you have any questions. All required documents will be retained in the Board of Health Office.
Health Agent Office Hours: Monday 8 AM – 9 AM & 5 PM – 7 PM
Tuesday 8 AM – 10 AM
Wednesday 8 AM – 9 AM
Thursday 8 AM – 10 AM
Friday 8 AM – 9 AM
Otherwise, Health Agent is available by appointment only. Call 978-356-6606 x 4 for an appointment.